The criteria applicable to the selection of Regional Designated Centres (RDCs) are summarized as:
- Availability of the necessary infrastructure (laboratory facilities, well-trained and skilled human resources, legal framework, etc.) at the time of application for becoming a RDC;
- Availability of references (achievements) in the field of expertise; such as services being rendered satisfactorily at the national and, possibly, regional level;
- Availability of logistics, communication facilities as well as capacity to rapidly mobilize teams and resources;
- Confirmed reliability in servicing and skills in management;
- Financial autonomy or at least solid sources of funding when required; and
- Ability of providing leadership for interaction through linkage mechanisms, networking and use of Technical Co-operation among Developing Countries (TCDC) modality.